Braces have been a trusty, reliable way to align teenagers’ teeth for decades. Though their design might have changed slightly, the process has stayed the same. Braces aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, but did you know there is another option for your teen?
Clear aligners, also known as trays, have been straightening the teeth of adults for years, and fairly recently, their qualified patients have expanded to treat teenagers, too! Clear aligners are translucent plastic trays that straighten teeth over time by applying pressure.
Aligners are Customized Treatments!
Clear aligners are custom-made for every individual’s unique smile and needs, ensuring a comfortable, snug fit for the best results.
To start, our skilled team members will take X-rays and photos of your teen’s teeth, gums, and jaw alignment to create a 3D representation of the mouth. With these detailed and comprehensive images, Dr. Ross or Dr. Rothenberg can spot potential complications before treatment begins! Using your child’s unique 3D model, they will efficiently and accurately map out your teen’s treatment plan and even show you and your teen a visual representation of the expected final result! It can be a great motivator to wear the trays when your teen sees what they are working toward.
Then, Dr. Ross or Dr. Rothenberg will have the first set of custom trays made. Each tray set is worn for one to two weeks before switching to the next in line. Because you will get the first round of trays at once, clear aligners are perfect for busy families! Your teen can switch to the next aligner from home in seconds!
Aligners are Removable!
While it is important for your teen to wear the trays for twenty-two hours a day, their removable feature has more benefits than saving a trip to the doctor’s office for a new tray! Some of those benefits are:
- No Food Restrictions!
- The trays must be removed to eat or drink anything other than water. That means your teen can stick to their regular diet! Popcorn at the movies? Doritos at lunch? Sticky, hard candy on Halloween? All are allowed, as long as they remember to remove their aligners!
- Regular Oral Hygiene!
- Your teen does not have to learn a new routine or carry around tools to use after meals. To keep their teeth and gums clean, they simply remove the trays to brush and floss like normal!
- Special Occasions!
- Prom? School picture day? Driver’s License Photo? Groomsman in your aunt’s wedding? No worries! The trays can be removed for special occasions as long as the patient remembers to put them back in. We understand that every moment is precious, but we have to stress the importance of only removing them for those extra special times.
Easy Maintenance for Busy Teens!
Clear aligners don’t change your teen’s oral hygiene, but the trays themselves need a little help to remain clean and in good condition! Good news – care for the aligners is super easy and only takes a few minutes!
Twice a day, use unscented antibacterial soap and lukewarm water to gently brush the aligners with a toothbrush separate from the one used to brush the teeth. That’s it! Allow them to dry completely before placing them back in the mouth.
This quick and easy cleaning prevents bad-smelling and gross-tasting aligners, which isn’t very inviting when it’s time to wear them. It also keeps them free from germs and prolongs their “invisible” aesthetic.
- Do not use toothpaste on the aligners! They can cause damage to the surface and make them uncomfortable and more noticeable when worn.
- After eating, your teen should rinse their mouth with water to remove any residue left behind that can stain the teeth or aligners.
- Don’t use extremely hot or cold water because this can warp the trays.
Be sure to ask Dr. Ross or Dr. Rothenberg before using any product on the aligners!
Aligners Offer Subtly!
Even though we at Orthodontics of South Miami believe that there should not be any shame or embarrassment in anyone’s orthodontic journey, we understand some younger patients might prefer a more discreet treatment option for various reasons.
The customization of Invisalign for Teens provides our patients with a fit so snug and comfortable most people won’t even know your teen is wearing them! With clear aligners, your teen is more likely to smile and participate in their regular activities during treatment.
The Invisalign for Teens Difference.
As experienced Invisalign and Invisalign for Teens providers, we are happy to report that they are not the same product remarketed! Designed with teenagers and their families in mind, here are just three features of the Invisalign for Teens program that make a huge difference in the effectiveness and convenience of treatment.
- The Compliance Dot — Invisalign for Teens trays come with a small blue dot on the back of the tray. The dot’s color interacts with saliva to change to either white or clear over time. The more your teen wears their trays, the quicker the color changes! With this, you can be sure they are wearing their aligners as prescribed.
- Replacement Trays — Are you worried your teen will lose or damage their aligner? No worries! Invisalign for Teens allows for a limited number of replacement trays! The most inconvenient part of needing a replacement is waiting for it to be made.
- Eruption Tabs — Are you and your teen ready to start orthodontic treatment but waiting for all their adult teeth to grow? There’s no need! Invisalign for Teens now offers the option of eruption tabs, which are tabs on the aligner that allow for teeth to erupt and grow without disrupting or preventing treatment!
Explore Clear Aligners with Orthodontics of South Miami!
Dr. Ross and Dr. Rothenberg have more experience than most orthodontists in Invisalign and were awarded Invisalign Platinum Status in 2021. You can be confident that your teen is in good hands!
Call or visit us to schedule your free virtual or in-person consultation! We look forward to meeting you and your family!